National Nutrition Week is just around the corner! Here are some tips about the ‘try for 5’ campaign from our Dietitian, Alice Mika! You can book in with Alice by calling (03) 9534 0611.
October 11-18 is National Nutrition Week. This week is a great opportunity to focus on maximising your health and nutritional intake. During this week, try for 5 – aim to include 5 serves of veg in your diet every day for a week. It is likely much easier than you think!
But what size is a serve of veg?
According to the Australian guide to healthy eating, a serve of vegetables is about 75g or:
- ½ cup cooked green or orange veg, corn, or lentils.
- ½ a medium potato/sweet potato
- 1 cup of leafy green/raw salad vegetables/ 1 tomato
For some tips on maximising your veg intake:
- Grate carrots and zucchini into Bolognese or pasta sauce
- Order a side salad or veggies with takeaway foods
- Add spinach, carrots, celery or other veg to smoothies
- Get creative with savoury breakfasts – try a veggie omelette or carrot cake oats
- Snack on veggie sticks with dip or ricotta
- Make homemade veggie chips with potatoes or Brussel sprout or kale leaves
- Grab frozen veg or premixed salads for a quick addition to any meal
- Try adding beans or lentils to pasta sauces or stews
For more inspiration, visit https://www.tryfor5.org.au/Back to News