Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year from our Dietitians! Alice Mika has written a blog post about healthy eating throughout the festive holiday period, which you can read below!
The festive period is often one full of fun and more importantly, delicious food!
While it is a great opportunity to enjoy time with friends and family, worrying about food or nutritional intake can add unwanted stress to the festivities.
There are a few things that you can do to help support your nutritional intake and avoid any feelings of guilt.
1. Eat slowly and enjoy your meal – take your time to taste everything in your meal and really enjoy the different flavours. Give your body time to tell you that you’re full.
2. Water! – Try to ensure you’re sipping on water throughout meals or alternating alcoholic beverages with water.
3. Load up on veg – get veggies and salad onto your plate first and aim for a significant portion of your plate to be covered by them.
4. Store those leftovers – There are often leftovers from a big Christmas lunch or dinner, you don’t have to finish everything! Give yourself permission to stop eating when you feel full.
5. Get outside – aim to be active through the Christmas period, break out the backyard cricket or go for a walk with your family to keep moving.
Most importantly, focus on the time you spend with your family and friends. This will always be more important than the food that you eat.
If you end up feeling a little bit too full, go easy on yourself, maybe have an afternoon nap, and take it a little slower at your next meal.
Our Dietitians wish you all an enjoyable and delicious Christmas and a Happy New Year. If you would like a Dietitian appointment in 2021, please call (03) 9534 0611!