A new blog post is available below, from Alice Mika, our Dietitian:
It’s a new year, and many people find themselves making promises to themselves to start a new diet or lose a set amount of weight.
While it is easy to slip into this pattern of starting a new diet with a new year (or month, or day) there are many reasons you should ditch the diet for good.
1. Restricting a food or food group can lead to wanting it more, and then overindulgence. Depending on the food or food group restricted, it may also lead to nutritional deficiencies.
2. Dieting can cause you to lose touch with your body’s natural satiety signalling.
3. Diets can lead to the moralisation of food or labelling of foods as ‘good’ or ‘bad. While it is true that different foods may have different nutritional profiles or benefits, all foods can fit into a balanced and healthy diet.
4. Dieting can contribute to the development of disordered eating behaviours, or an eating disorder.
5. Healthy behaviours are more likely to lead to long term improvements in health outcomes than weight loss is individually.
6. Under-fuelling your body can have a negative impact on training and performance
There are many more reasons to ditch the diet than those listed above. If you’re looking for some guidance around food or want to improve your nutritional intake but aren’t sure where to start, make an appointment by calling (03) 9534 0611!